I have the BEST stuffed portobellos to serve at your next barbecue! The freshly picked basil from my Herb garden, buffalo mozzarella, and the meaty portobellos make this dish so fulling you don’t even need meat!
Here’s the recipe:
- 3tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for greasing grill pan
- 4 large portobello mushrooms (about 5 inches in diameter), stemmed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3small to medium sized vine ripened tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces fresh water-packed mozzarella, drained, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Prepare the barbecue (medium-high heat).
- Drizzle 3 tablespoons of olive oil over both sides of the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the mushrooms with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle olive oil on grill pan to prevent mushrooms from sticking.
- Grill until the mushrooms are heated through and tender, about 5 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, whisk the extra-virgin olive oil and garlic in a medium bowl to blend.
- Add the tomatoes, cheese, and basil and toss to coat.
- Season the tomato salad, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- Place 1 hot grilled mushroom gill side up on each of 4 plates.
- Sprinkle with more salt and pepper.
- Spoon the tomato salad atop the mushrooms
recipe courtesy of Giada de Laurentiis