As much as I love cooking I’ve always been intimidated by Middle Eastern cuisine. I always felt that the recipes were tedious and time consuming; not meant for the modern career woman. That changed when my friend Sylva introduced me to her Beurek for the modern Armenian gal! It’s so cheesy and flavor packed I couldn’t believe how simple it was!
Every time I serve this up as an appetizer both adults and kids go wild over it! So thank you Sylva for generously sharing this recipe!
- 2 eggs
- piknik cheese (purchased from costco or middle eastern market)
- puff pastry dough squares
- sesame seeds (white or black)
- Preheat oven to 350 degree
- In a mixing bowl, crumble one round of the cheese
- Add ONE egg and mix thoroughly.
- Set aside
- Cut the puff pastry squares diagonally in half
- Fold the triangle dough in half
- Using a fork seal two sides of the folded puff pastry
- Place approximately one spoonful of the cheese mixture into the shell (do no overfill)
- Seal the remaining opened side with the fork and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet
- Brush the top sheet with the remaining beaten egg
- Sprinkle the turnover with the sesame seeds
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
Serve warm or at room temperature and enjoy!
You can also freeze these beauties and pop them in the oven at another time!
Enjoy and stay dainty,
Sandra Thomasian, MD