Time to get knocked up!
It’s kind of ironic isn’t it? As younger women, we spend a considerable amount of effort trying not to get pregnant. Then, when the time comes to completely reverse that mind-set it can be a little disorienting. Please don’t let me be pregnant somehow turns into Please let me be pregnant!
Today I discuss ways you can optimize your body for pregnancy!
Visit your Ob/Gyn to get a full battery of tests so you can catch and address any health issues you might have now, before you get pregnant. This includes…
- Pap smear
- Breast exam
- STD testing
- Pelvic Ultrasound to check for ovarian cysts, uterine fibroids, and uterine polyps
- Lab Tests: thyroid studies, abc to check for anemia, vitamin D3 levels, blood sugar
- Start eating better food NOW, not once you know you are pregnant, because when cravings and fatigue hit you want good habits in place. I have an entire blog post on Nutrition For Prepregnancy, Pregnancy and Beyond you can read up on as well
- Start taking a high quality, natural prenatal vitamin up to a year before you start trying to get pregnant, because folic acid in particular is extremely important in the earliest stages of pregnancy, often before you know you are pregnant, and many women don’t get enough without a supplement. The New Chapter Prenatals are my personal favorite.
- Start exercising now, so you can stay active throughout your pregnancy, which will have numerous health benefits for you and the baby. Here are some exercise tips for pregnancy
- Get in the habit of drinking water now and staying fully hydrated. You’ll also get used to the frequent bathroom trips. For how much water you should be drinking click here.
- Start getting enough sleep right now and rest whenever you can! Do you need to take a daily nap to get enough sleep? then start doing that now.
- Finally get stress management techniques in place now, so when you get overwhelmed during pregnancy, you will have tools to deal with that.