For years my favorite breakfast was warm oatmeal with berries. But as much as I enjoyed it, I was starving 2 hours later. I would reach for any convenient snack and I would be hungry again soon after.
What I didn’t realize then, was that I was eating food that was spiking my blood sugar levels and then causing a crash soon after.
This Fab Four Smoothie formula developed by my favorite holistic nutritionist, Kelly Leveque, helps you develop a blood sugar balancing replacement meal that includes protein, healthy fats, greens, and fiber to keep you full for 4-5 hours!
- 1.5 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tbsp chia seed (fiber component)
- 2 tbsp nut butter (almond butter, peanut butter) (fat component)
- 1 scoop of protein powder (I use collagen protein but feel free to use pea protein powder if you’re vegetarian) (protein component)
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach (green component)
Blend all ingredients in blender, pour and enjoy!
Note: You can substitute the fat component with half an avocado or one tbsp of coconut oil. You can also add 1/4 cup of berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries) if you like your smoothies sweeter.