As we say goodbye to 2018, I’m also closing the year with my 36th birthday. Yes I’m a Capricorn and because I’m born around the New Year, I get extra reflective in December because it marks a new year and new age for me.
Now that I’m 36 here are some lessons I’ve learned this year! Enjoy!
- LISTEN, like really LISTEN and don’t interrupt. The biggest communication problem is we don’t listen to understand, we listen to reply.
- Getting over your fears is the first step towards success.
- Let go of the negative toxic people in your life. They hold you back and make you think pessimistically
- When you allow room for change you grow as a person
- Be open to criticism
- Being appreciative makes people feel good and when they feel good they’ll want to do more
- Love and take care of your parents. You’ll miss them when they’re gone
- TV is an absolute waste of time
- What you eat can set the mood for the day, week, month, year. So practice good eating habits.
- Always be decluttering! Closets, paperwork, unsupportive friends, apps, email. Simplicity is quite peaceful.
- Stay humble and say hello to a stranger just because.
- Ask for a raise when you think it’s due and don’t be scared to ask. The worse they can say is no.
- Take good care of yourself. You’ll realize all aspects of your life will improve when you love yourself.
- Related to the above, exercise frequently, it not only makes you look good but you feel good.
- Always be open to meeting new people, you never know who will inspire you.
- Write your goals down. Whether it’s your goals for the year, week, or day. Writing it down yields more results than thinking about it or typing.
- Read voraciously. The best way to improve on yourself is to read. That includes novels, self help books, blogs.
- Continually date your partner. Make time each week to have dinner or even a drink without kids, work, or other distractions.
- Live YOUR life and don’t worry about what others are doing.
- You don’t have to be invited to everything. It’s time consuming.
- Not everyone is gonna like you and that’s TOTALLY OK! It’s like what Paulo Coelho says “Haters are confused admirers who cannot understand why everyone loves you.”
- Get it done! If you’re thinking about starting a project just start. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Nothing ever really is.
- Avoid gossip. It never does anybody good and it doesn’t reflect well on you.
- Kindness is free. Sprinkle that stuff everywhere.
- If you want to raise good kids model good behavior.
- Never take no for an answer. Keep trying until you get what you want.
- Once a year go somewhere you’ve never been.
- Overthinking is the biggest cause of unhappiness.
- Drink a TON of water. Your skin, body and future self will thank you for it.
- Save money by eating less meat and consuming more veggies.
- You’re never too good to ask for help.
- Don’t apologize for every little thing #sorrynotsorry
- Giving compliments doesn’t take anything away from you and it shows you’re not threatened by the success, beauty, or luck of others. So go ahead and tell your friend she looks incredible in her outfit.
- No one likes a complainer. It’s exhausting to hear someone complain over and over again.
- You can’t do everything. So pick what you’re good at and give it your all.
- ENJOY THE MOMENTS AND LIVE LIFE. It’s not about materials but the experiences that make life fulfilling.
What life lessons have you learned in 2018?